Wednesday, June 27, 2018

MDTS Practical Pistol 1 and Practical Shotgun 1 6.23- 24 2018


This past weekend I made the trip up to Wisconsin to see my friends at Resilience Development. They were hosting Chris Fry of MDTS and Shivworks  Collective for his Practical Pistol 1 and Practical Shotgun 1. I had taken Chris's Practical Small Knife 1 and 2 earlier in the year and found him to be a very good instructor. Knowledgeable and personable.

My goals for the pistol class were to get outside my comfort zone and see some new instructional methods. Mission accomplished.

Here is a synopsis of the class

Mindset and Mechanics
Use of Force Overview
Safety
Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Gun Handling
Precision shooting drills
Strong and weak side manipulation
Concealed Carry presentation
Malfunctions
Proactive movement and assessment

I won't go into detail but I did find some gaps to shore up and some things I can use in my own instruction.

Primarily though the weekend was about the shotgun. I have limited to no defensive shotgun training and was looking forward to this class.

These are the subjects taught in class

Mindset
Patterning
Ammunition and Selection
Modifications and options
Ready conditions
Stance,Mount and Grip
Recoil Mitigation
Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Preparatory Gun Handling
Proactive Movement
Emergency and Tactical Loading
Slug Select Drill
Fundamental use of Cover and Concealment

Despite it being hot and humid, I got out of the course what I wanted and feel much more proficient with a shotgun in a defensive context.













No comments:

Post a Comment