Saturday, May 2, 2020

Blog is Ten Years Old

This blog just turned ten. I realized that as I was answering some comments on previous posts. The anniversary had kinda slipped by me as I haven't been posting here as much as I used to. Are blogs even a thing anymore? I find myself posting more often with short posts on platforms like Instagram and Snapchat. I originally started this blog to have a centralized location to place my recollections and thoughts on my military service before I forgot them. Eventually as my military service faded into the less recent past this blog became a place to archive my activities and review training. Now it is a place where I throw down a random thought or two as they pop up. I'm not quite sure how much longer I will keep it active. I really like the idea of having a place to archive my thoughts so for now it stays active albeit nominally so.

A lot has changed since I started this blog. The actual day I wrote my first post I was working as a Semi Truck dispatcher on the night and weekend shift and I was 5 years retired from the military. I am now close to 16 years retired and I have moved on from that job. In the last 10 years I have worked as a Security Officer, Security Manager, Small Business Owner, EMT, Paramedic and currently I am working as Faculty at a Community College and managing a small rural ambulance service.

10 years ago I ran my first Ultramarathon. It was a local 50K. Over the next 6 years I ran 37 races of marathon distance (26.2 miles) or longer to include finishing a 100 mile trail race in under 30 hours.I sustain a nagging injury that curtailed my long distance running but introduced me to the rucking community. Since my injury I have completed 6 GoRuck Light, 1 GoRuck Tough and a GoRuck Star course.

I started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu five years ago and while I might never make it to black belt I consistently train and have even competed on 6 occasions. Currently I am a one stripe Blue Belt and I continue on the path.

5 years ago I started my own training company and make a decent side hustle training people in defensive pistol and rifle use,medical training, active shooter response plans and general defensive tactics. I enjoy it and can make my own schedule. Its good to get in front of folks and make them better.

When I started this blog I had one child graduated and working,one in high school and one in junior high. Currently all my kids are graduated and working. One is married and living in another state. My wife was managing a fast food kitchen and now she is retired.

I set a goal to try and post twice  amonth onthis blog in 2020. I am a little behind right now so I need to step it up.A lot has changed in the last 10 years here is to ten more

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what it is about writing but it feels cathartic at times. You've been a busy guy over the past 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I know where you were 10 years ago. You have had quite the journey yourself

    ReplyDelete