Saturday, July 20, 2013

Team Red White and Blue


About a year ago I was doing a trail run on my local trails. As usual I was listening to a podcast about trail running and the guest was former Western States 100 mile champion and current US Army Special Forces MSG Mike Morton. Morton and I have a lot in common, we both are MSG in Special Forces ( I am retired, he is not) and we both like to run long distances ( I am slow, he is not). So I was interested in what he had to say. He mentioned he was an ambassador for an organization called Team Red White and Blue and that they were conducting a trail running camp in Texas. The more he talked about it the more it sounded interesting.

When I got back home I checked out the website www.teamrwb.org . Team Red White and Blue is an organization whose mission statement is as follows :
 

Team RWB’s mission is to enrich the lives of America’s veterans by connecting them to their community through physical and social activity.


This was right up my alley. I signed up and in no time I got my free Team RWB technical shirt. I started wearing my shirt to local races. I started seeing more and more evidence of  Team RWB's involvement in athletics and veterans affairs. At the Boston Marathon bombing there was Team RWB lending assistance and aid. At a 50 mile ultra marathon I ran, there was Team RWB "rocking the eagle."

Eventually I was talking to a few of my ultra running friends and discovered they had independently also discovered Team RWB. We decided to start a local chapter. We are in the growth stage but we are committed. We love athletics and we are veterans, children of veterans, spouses of veterans or those who want to enrich the lives of veterans. Check out our Facebook page Team RWB Cedar Rapids/Iowa City or get involved in your local chapter. Team RWB chapters are springing up all over the country. Spread the word and Rock the Eagle!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment